|The claims period in this matter has ended. If you previously submitted a claim, the Judge will hold a Final Approval Hearing on January 3, 2023. If the Judge approves the settlement, we currently expect the checks to be sent out sometime in January 2023. Please contact 1-888-205-0036 for any questions.|
UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
FOR THE EASTERN DISTRICT OF MISSOURI
NOTICE OF PENDENCY OF CLASS ACTION, PROPOSED SETTLEMENT, AND HEARING
If you (1) were arrested or incarcerated by or on behalf of the City of Normandy, MISSOURI, between September 10, 2013 and May 12, 2021;
(2) paid a fine, fee, cost, surcharge, or other monetary sum to the City of Normandy, MISSOURI, between September 10, 2013, and May 12, 2021; or
(3) were the subject of an arrest warrant issued BY THE CITY OF NORMANDY, MISSOURI, between September 10, 2013, and May 12, 2021,
YOU MAY BE ELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE A PAYMENT FROM A CLASS ACTION SETTLEMENT.
A Federal Court authorized this notice.
This is not a solicitation from a lawyer.
- You may be a Class Member in either or both of two proposed settlement classes. The first includes persons incarcerated by or on behalf of the City of Normandy, Missouri, (the “City”) between September 10, 2013, and May 12, 2021. The second includes persons who (A) paid a fine, fee, cost, surcharge, or other monetary sum to the City between those dates, OR (B) were subject to an arrest warrant issued by the City between those same dates. The United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri (the “Court”) has ordered the issuance of this notice in the lawsuit entitled Davis, et al. v. The City of Normandy, 4:18-CV-01514-RLW. The Defendant denies any wrongdoing or liability of any kind in this lawsuit. The Court has not ruled on the merits of Plaintiffs’ claims.
- You may be eligible to obtain a payment based upon the number of days you spent incarcerated AND/OR if you paid a fine, fee, cost, surcharge, or other monetary sum to the City or were the subject of an arrest warrant issued by the City between the dates referenced above. You must qualify and submit a valid Claim Form in order to obtain a payment.
- YOU WON’T RECEIVE COMPENSATION UNLESS YOU FILE A CLAIM WITHIN 120 DAYS OF THE DATE THE INITIAL NOTICE WAS FIRST SENT, APRIL 8, 2022. Visit HERE to fill out the electronic Claim Form. It is a very quick process to file a claim.
|Your Legal Rights and Options in this Settlement|
|Submit a Claim Form||This is the only way to get a cash payment. Postmark or submit your Claim Form by August 6, 2022.|
|Exclude Yourself||Get no settlement benefits. Remove yourself from both the settlement and the lawsuit. Postmark your exclusion request by May 23, 2022.|
|Object||Write to the Court about why you don’t like the settlement. File and serve your objection by August 6, 2022|
|Go to a Hearing||Ask to speak in Court about the fairness of the settlement.|
|Do Nothing||Get no cash payment. Give up your rights.|
- These rights and options – and the deadlines to exercise them – are explained on this website and in the Notice.
- The Court in charge of this litigation still has to decide whether to approve the settlement of this case. Distribution of settlement benefits will be made if the Court approves the settlement and after any appeals are resolved. Please be patient.